[Beowulf] Network benchmark - MPI

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Thu Jul 1 20:25:49 EDT 2004

Jonathan Michael Nowacki wrote:

> Just wondering, if their is a benchmark or program that I can use to test
> the maximum bandwidth of a cluster from node to node, or all nodes
> communicating to the master node.  I'm thinking any kind of bandwidth test
> will do, but the purpose is to see how much traffic a 40 node cluster can
> take when running MrBayes (a MPI program).

Hello, Jon.

I can't help with the benchmark, but I'm also looking at the performance
of MrBayes on a 32-node 100Base-T openMosix cluster. I've found that it
runs 'best' on four nodes. I've tried 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 nodes and 250000
generations. I'd be interested to hear about other people's experience
of running MrBayes on multiple processors?

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687