[Beowulf] HVAC and room cooling...

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Sat Jan 31 19:52:27 EST 2004

Thanks, all!  Looks like LN2 isn't as bad as I thought.  I still don't
think we'll be using it as a temporary cooling measure, though :-).

Looks like I'll be doing a local co-lo, and getting my collaborators
to pay for the computing lab infrastructure...

"Jim Lux" <james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> Found some definitions:
> An oxygen-deficient atmosphere means that there is not enough oxygen in the
> space.
> Normal air is made up of 20.8 percent oxygen.
> An oxygen-deficient atmosphere has less than 19.5 percent of oxygen.
>  Levels below 10 percent can cause unconsciousness and levels below 8
> percent can quickly cause death.
> That's probably where Per's 19.5% came from
> And, a delightful paragraph from OSHA:
> Oxygen deprivation is one form of asphyxiation. While it is desirable to
> maintain the atmospheric oxygen level at 21% by volume, the body can
> tolerate deviation from this ideal. When the oxygen level falls to 17%, the
> first sign of hypoxia is a deterioration to night vision which is not
> noticeable until a normal oxygen concentration is restored. Physiologic
> effects are increased breathing volume and accelerated heartbeat. Between
> 14-16% physiologic effects are increased breathing volume, accelerated
> heartbeat, very poor muscular coordination, rapid fatigue, and intermittent
> respiration. Between 6-10% the effects are nausea, vomiting, inability to
> perform, and unconsciousness. Less than 6%, spasmatic breathing, convulsive
> movements, and death in minutes.

rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington
Biostatistics, SCHARP/HVTN          Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
UW (Tu/Th/F): 206-616-7630 FAX=206-543-3461 | Voicemail is unreliable
FHCRC  (M/W): 206-667-7025 FAX=206-667-4812 | use Email

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may be
confidential and privileged. If you received this message in error,
please destroy it and notify the sender. Thank you.