[Beowulf] How do vendors win you over?

Brent M. Clements bclem at rice.edu
Sat Jan 31 13:38:26 EST 2004

Hi Everyone,

In addition to our beowulf standards that we are working on, I'm
streamlining our research and purchasing process of vendors for beowulf
clusters within IT.

1. What are the qualities in vendors that you look for.
2. What requirements of a vendor do you require before you make a
purchase?
3. Would you go with a relatively new company? If so, what would make you
choose them over someone who is more knowledgeble about clusters or who
has
been in the computer business for a good number of years.
4. What type of support options do you all require. Do you just require
warranty support or do you require full support(software and hardware,
patches, etc etc)
5. Finally, what is the number one thing that always sways your vote
towards a particular vendor?

Thanks Alot!
Brent Clements

Brent Clements