[Beowulf] HVAC and room cooling...

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jan 31 10:03:56 EST 2004

There were some posts on this last summer, and rgb's book on the Brahma site
at Duke has a chapter that runs through the calculations.

You just ballpark the power consumption (figure a couple hundred
watts/processor to be conservative)... 24*200 = 4800W... convert that to
BTU/hr and you know how big an a/c you'll need.

All airconditioning just moves heat from one place to another, whether by
moving water or by pumping Freon or ammonia around.  Where are you going to
reject that 5kW of heat?  The hallway outside? (it's been done..) There's a
variety of a/c equipment that only requires about a 2" diameter hole/passage
between cold end and hot end.