[Beowulf] HVAC and room cooling...

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Sat Jan 31 06:22:44 EST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, A.J. Rossini wrote:

> to people that it isn't possible, but someone brought up "portable
> liquid nitrogen" -- for the room, NOT for overclocking -- I'm trying
> to get stable systems, not instability :-).

Daft idea.
What happens when the liquid nitrogen vapourises? It turns to nitrogen
gas. And if you are unlucky anyone in the room chokes...
I was reminded of this in the lift of a chemistry department where
we have an opteron cluster - a large sign reminding that LNO2 and
dangerous chemicals are not allowed in passenger lifts.

BTW, when arranging air flows try to get cold air ducted into the front of
the rack - node tend to draw air in the front and exhaust to the rear.