[Beowulf] HVAC and room cooling...

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Fri Jan 30 22:32:20 EST 2004

John Bushnell <bushnell at chem.ucsb.edu> writes:

> (So many watts) times 'x' equals how many "tons" of AC.  Multiply
> by at least two of course ;-)

Or 3, sigh...

>>Also, does anyone have any brilliant thoughts for cooling an internal
>>room that can't affordably get chilled water?  (I've been suggesting
>>to people that it isn't possible, but someone brought up "portable
>>liquid nitrogen" -- for the room, NOT for overclocking -- I'm trying
>>to get stable systems, not instability :-).
>
>   You can have an external heat exchanger.  If you are lucky and are,
> say, on the first floor somewhere close to an external wall, it is
> pretty simple to run a small pipe between the internal AC and the
> heat exchanger outside.  Don't know how far it is practical to run
> one though.  We have one in our computer room, but it is only six
> feet or so from the exchanger outside.  Our newer AC runs on chilled
> water which was quoted for a lot less than another inside/outside
> combo, but we already had a leftover chilled water supply in the
> computer room.

I've looked at the chilled-water approach.  They estimated between
$40k-$80k.  oops (this room is REALLY in the middle of the building.
Great for other computing purposes, but not for cooling).

I'm looking for the proverbial vent-free A/C.  Sort of like
frictionless tables and similar devices I recall from undergraduate
physics...

Thanks for the comments!

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may be
confidential and privileged. If you received this message in error,
please destroy it and notify the sender. Thank you.