[Beowulf] [OT] HA clusters vs. grids?

Mike Eggleston mikee at mikee.ath.cx
Fri Jan 30 08:16:19 EST 2004

Ok, so this is on the edge of the mailing list....
I have been told I must suggest a plan for the purchase of
a new server, that I can't low-ball the situation by only
adding core to a few servers. One pair of servers is in
a AIX HA cluster, one node is the primary and the other is
simply a hot-spare (always in standby). I understand what
the HA is doing with its heartbeats, fail over, and such.
If I have to buy a new server, is it possible I could improve
uptime by having a grid? This is a homegrown application,
the primary application in the company, and it uses SNA,
ISAM files, and lots of serial connections. Can this type
of application (that needs these external devices) work
in a grid environment?

Mike