[Beowulf] C vs C++ challenge (java version)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jan 29 17:56:41 EST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Joe Landman wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 09:55, dc wrote:
> > file            size        C++         j client    j server
> > wrnpc10.txt     3282452     0m2.746s    0m1.941s    0m1.643s
> > shaks12.txt     5582655     0m4.476s    0m3.321s    0m2.842s
> > big.txt         39389424    0m29.120s   0m13.972s   0m12.776s
> > vbig.txt        196947120   2m23.882s   1m5.707s    1m2.350s
>
> Where did these files come from?  Would be nice to try out
> non-C++/non-Java solutions with.

At least shaks12.txt is from project gutenberg and shows up as a direct
link to there, first thing, from Google on a "shaks12 txt" search.  I
haven't tried the rest of them -- if a tool works for Shakespeare it
SHOULD work for any of the rest.  The only dicey point will arise when
the filesize starts to compete with available free memory, as one of the
rules of the "competition" is to save the list of words in addressable
form.  At least my algorithm should scale boringly linearly up to where
the system is forced to really clear buffers and cache and then swap.
Theirs appear to as well.

So I'd suggest using Shakespeare from Gutenberg and maybe
/usr/share/dict/linux_words as a baseline, although the latter might
vary from version to version of linux.

I'd also suggest that each contestant run their code at least once or
twice with commented out lines that demonstrate that their code actually
is parsing the text and saving the words (and that what it saves ARE
words, or at least word-like tokens) in an addressable retrievable form.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu