[Beowulf] Virginia Tech upgrade

Jag agrajag at dragaera.net
Thu Jan 29 15:47:38 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 15:13, Russell Nordquist wrote:
> in other news here is an article written by the dean of the college of
> engineering on the bigMac
>
> http://news.com.com/2010-7337-5149087.html

Interesting article.  It seems they don't know what their cluster is
called.  The article wants to call it 'Virginia Tech X', whereas the
website for the cluster wants to call it Terascale:
http://computing.vt.edu/research_computing/terascale/

Another interesting thing is the article mentions Deja Vu, a proprietary
piece of software.  If you check this site
(http://mac.excaliburworld.com/teracluster.html), it seems that Deja Vu
is written in house.

I actually went up and saw the cluster last month.  When I was there,
they still weren't production ready, and didn't have any real users.
Now they're suddenly upgrading everything.. sounds very curious to me.

Btw, when I was there, it was indicated that the Deja Vu software was
written by a faculty member in their computer science department.