[Beowulf] Virginia Tech upgrade

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Thu Jan 29 15:25:09 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 07:58:42PM -0600, Russell Nordquist wrote:

> on a related note....in the next day I am going to post (or prompt
> someone to post) about an interesting issue we are having with some
> code. basically it will run on g4's and g5's, but not Xeons/Athlons due
> to what appears to be underflow issues.

The G5 in particular has the usual IBM feature that some float
computations are done as double, with the answer only being truncated
when variables are stored to memory. The IBM compiler has a switch
that rounds things more normally. If this feature allows your code to
run, then your code is probably the most guilty party.

-- greg