[Beowulf] Virginia Tech upgrade

Russell Nordquist nordquist at geosci.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 28 20:58:42 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 18:03, Patrick Geoffray wrote:
> Hi Russel,
>
> Russell Nordquist wrote:
> > to field some questions offline. were looking at smallish (~30 cpus) g5
> > cluster. we have several linux clusters but this is my would be my first
> > stab at Xserves.
>
> You can also look at the JS-20 blades from IBM, 28 cpus in 7U. Maybe a
> little pricey though.

I am working with an IBM rep to get a login to a JS-20 blade. From the
ibm website a JS20 blade w/512M ram is $2,699.00. The chassis is
2,789.00 so.... around $40.5K. i think i'm missing a GiGe switch module
though. in comparison, for g5 Xserves are $3k x 14 = $42. so it's
similar. however the g5's are 2Ghz the JS-20's are 1.6Ghz.....

on a related note....in the next day I am going to post (or prompt
someone to post) about an interesting issue we are having with some
code. basically it will run on g4's and g5's, but not Xeons/Athlons due
to what appears to be underflow issues. the odd thing is that it doesn't
work on an Opteron (in 64 bit mode) either. call this a teaser since i
am going to get the author of the code to explain a bit more about it.
this particular problem has me a bit vexed....i can't figure if it's a
architecture or compiler issue.

more on this tomorrow.

russell