[Beowulf] Clustering on Redhat9.0

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jan 28 00:42:54 EST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, swapna ghosh wrote:

>    beowolf with PVM, i did not get any such document(installation
> steps) till yet on Redhat 9.0. It will be really appreciated if anybody
> points me the document/url of the procedure *installation of clustering
> with beowolf PVM on RH-9.0*
>
> Lastly can anybody suggest me which one will be suitable for redhat
> 9.0?

Find the pvm and pvm-gui binary rpm's on whatever RH 9 medium you used
for the install or from their website or from a mirror (such as the one
at mirror.dulug.duke.edu).  Download them if necessary.  CD into their
directory.  As root, run:

rpm -Uvh pvm*.rpm

Configure ssh to permit login with no password.  Use google to find a
micro-HOWTO on how to do this, if you can't follow the man pages -- it
is straightforward.  Configure your environment to support PVM.  It will
work best/easiest if your two nodes share a home directory filesystem
(NFS exported from one to the other) and have identical accounts.

That's all there is to it, really.  Login to one system, start pvm or
xpvm (the latter is more fun) and add the other as a node.  Write code,
have fun.  There is a functional pvm program template on my personal
website under general.  I think it is even semi-documented.  Give it a
try.

This is also going to be the focus of my column in Cluster World in
March and April.  Consider subscribing.  It has also been covered in
past issues of Forrest's column in Linux Magazine (IIRC).  Search LM's
archive.  Finally, there is a good book on introductory PVM from MIT
press.  Consider buying it via e.g. Amazon.

   rgb

> Thanks in advance
> -Swapna

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu