[Beowulf] Remote procedure call (error)

Wed Jan 28 01:26:17 EST 2004

hi ya robert

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> rpcinfo is also your friend:
>
> rgb at lilith|T:3#rpcinfo -p lilith
>    program vers proto   port
>     100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
>     100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
>     100024    1   udp  32768  status
>     100024    1   tcp  32768  status
>     391002    2   tcp  32769  sgi_fam
>
> As a general rule, I'd consider the portmapper and rpc stuff to be a
> moderate security risk; lilith lives inside firewalls only.  I have had
> direct experience of systems cracked in the past through portmapper
> bugs, which perhaps makes me a bit paranoid.

did you run the secure versions of each ??
	secure rpc
	secure portmap
	secure nfs

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/FileSystem/#NFS

and yes, guess if security is an issue, dont use "nfs"
but than again, what's the options .. at least encrypt as
much as one can (afford) .. including the filesystem

at "*.duke.edu" guess you folks would be a prime target...

c ya
alvin