[Beowulf] Remote procedure call (error)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jan 28 00:47:47 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, prakash borade wrote:

> have any body tried RPC programing on Linux
> i get
> rpc unknown protocol error
> i am trying to diaply the message on the remote host

To do rpm programming you probably need a bunch of stuff configured and
running that might or might not be turned off for security reasons.
Check, for example, to see if the portmapper is running.  Also check
iptables and/or ipchains to see if they are running and if so if any
rules block access to the portmapper.

rpcinfo is also your friend:

rgb at lilith|T:3#rpcinfo -p lilith
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp  32768  status
    100024    1   tcp  32768  status
    391002    2   tcp  32769  sgi_fam

As a general rule, I'd consider the portmapper and rpc stuff to be a
moderate security risk; lilith lives inside firewalls only.  I have had
direct experience of systems cracked in the past through portmapper
bugs, which perhaps makes me a bit paranoid.

What exactly are you trying to do?

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu