[Beowulf] Clustering on Redhat9.0

Andrew Shewmaker shewa at inel.gov
Tue Jan 27 10:37:19 EST 2004

swapna ghosh wrote:

 > Hi
 >
 >    I am a newbee to the clustering and my next project is clustering
 > with max 2 nodes.
 >
 >    The servers are Redhat 9.0. I was going through  few clustering
 > procedure..
 >
 >    -  beowolf with PVM
 >    -  openMosix
 >    -  SSI Cluster for linux
 >
 > There are lots many but i need the *free* software...
 >
 >    Though the last one(SSI Clustering..) the document i read , it is on
 > Redhat 9.0
 >
 >    openMosix is kernel patch oriented.. So my little knowledge says
 > that it will be difficult everytime to upgrade if not rpm...[ i may be
 > wrong ]

OpenSSI also involves a patched kernel, so it sounds like you'll
probably want to avoid it too, if you are avoiding openMosix.

 >    beowolf with PVM, i did not get any such document(installation
 > steps) till yet on Redhat 9.0. It will be really appreciated if anybody
 > points me the document/url of the procedure *installation of clustering
 > with beowolf PVM on RH-9.0*

RH-9 includes pvm-3.4.4-12.i386.rpm on the second CD and
pvm-gui-3.4.4-12.i386.rpm on the third.  You still have to
set it up to use ssh or rsh, though.  Search through the
archives at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=beowulf&r=1&w=2v
and you will find links to howtos or descriptions on how to
set up rsh.

I recommend learning how to set up ssh for host based authentication.
http://www.omega.telia.net/vici/openssh/ has good instructions, but
note that the latest OpenSSH requires "EnableSSHKeysign yes" to be
set in <dir-of-ssh-conf-files>/ssh_config. Also, you can simplify
the instructions if you treat the cluster as a single system and
copy the same host keys to all of the machines.  Rocks does it that
way.

If you don't want to learn about that sort of thing, then install
a cluster environment/distribution.

 > Lastly can anybody suggest me which one will be suitable for redhat
 > 9.0?

You should look at Rocks or OSCAR.  Rocks is a distribution based on RH and
OSCAR can be installed on top of RH-9.  They will set up PVM and MPI for you.

http://rocksclusters.org
http://oscar.openclustergroup.org

Andrew

--