[Beowulf] Which is better GNU C or JAVA (for network programing)

=?unknown-8bit?B?RGFuaetsIFcu?= Crompton webhat at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 21 06:29:28 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:50:10AM +0100, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:05:45AM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, prakash borade wrote:
< ... snipped for brevity ... >
> > Now we can give the correct answer, which is "C".
> Typing a little fast there, I think...  The correct answer for anything
> larger than 1KLOC is "C++" - of course, you knew that, you were just a
> little fast on the keyboard   ;)

	While I can find litte fault with your posts I should note that there
are a number of points which I would like to mention.

	Firstly, obviously YHBT YHL HAND.

	Now I've got that out of the way, there was a light weight comparative
benchmark[1] on OSNews. Obviously, as you will see, they only tested some
simple things, but the tests showed Sun's Java performed quite well when
compaired to GCC.

	Compairing it to GCC is a little cheap though, as we know from the
benchmarks in October edition of Dr Dobbs Journal[2]: GCC, it may have
the best ANSI C/C++ support produces the bulkiest code and, although not
always, slower code that a processor specific design such as Intel's C++

	The have been a lot of myths[3] floating around about Java performance,
and although IMO floating point precision sucks in Java, it is not as bad as
people think.

	The main reason that I vote for Java and not my favorite C or my second
favorite C++ is that the person who asks this question will just be adding
more bad/exploitable C/C++ network code to the world. And I don't really
think we should be encouraging that.

[1] Nine Language Performance Round-up: Benchmark Math & File I/O - C.W. Cowell-Shah
[2] Compairing C/C++ Compilers - M. Wilson
[3] Urban Performance Myths - B. Goetz

Daniel (ever the debunker)

blaze your trail

'I am become Shiva, destroyer of worlds'
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org