[Beowulf] Which is better GNU C or JAVA (for network programing)

Camm Maguire camm at enhanced.com
Wed Jan 21 19:14:34 EST 2004

Greetings!

Jim Lux <James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> At 04:44 PM 1/21/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>

> >- if you ever dreamt about goodies from LISP without having to deal
> >   with Lots of Silly Idiotic Parenthesis, these dreams come true in
> >   tcl
>
> Surely you ment Lots of Idiotic Silly Parenthesis (after all, isn't
> LISP an acronym)

While I certainly agree that nothing comes close at present to
C/Fortran for parallel numerical work, I do wonder what it would take
to get LISP to be the best 'higher order' language alternative for
this task.  After all, 1) it has an *open* standard, 2) it compiles to
native machine code, 3) speeds often within 20% of C, and 4) it can
easily call libraries written in other languages.  In fact, GCL
already has a binding to MPI, and there has been discussion about
using LISP's powerful macro system to automatically insert blas calls
in place of written out floating point matrix code, and then relying
on an optimized blas setup as in Debian, where several atlas packages
transparently provide accelerated blas without recompilation, to get
decent performance.

The downside of course is that LISP has lost a lot of mindshare.

Take care,

Camm Maguire			     			camm at enhanced.com