[Beowulf] Which is better GNU C or JAVA (for network programing)

Andrew Fant afant at geekmail.cc
Tue Jan 20 11:57:29 EST 2004

Right on, Alan.

Lately, I have come to think that python is a "good thing (tm)".  I
attended the two python tutorials at SC2003 last November, and I was very
impressed with the extensions that have been made.  SciPy now allows direct
calls to the Atlas blas implementation from python, and offers a slew of
optimized c routines as well for numerical work in python.  f2py provides a
mostly automatic way to wrap old fortran code so it can be loaded as a
python module.  Perhaps most exciting to me is the development work going
on with MPI bindings in python.

While I do not think python will overtake optimized C and Fortran for the
bleeding-edge of scientific computing, I think that it has the potential to
capture a lot of the middle ground.  For teaching numerical simulations and
parallel computing, it reduces the detail of   the C API to a level that a
part-time developer can keep straight while they are worrying about the
science behind the code or that a new user can start using rapidly.

Andy

--On Tuesday, January 20, 2004 15:16:19 +0100 Alan Ward i Koeck