[Beowulf] Re: [Ilugc] LAM/MPI Setup

Karthik karthik at siptech.co.in
Wed Jan 21 00:26:42 EST 2004

I have had a successful LAM/MPI cluster some time back.  Here are the steps
that I have figured out after many unsuccessful attempts.  These steps are my
quickest way to have a LAM/MPI cluster.

1.Install Linux in the Master node
2.Set Hostname and domainname
3.Setup the Master node as NIS server
4.Export /usr, /home directories.
5.Add a user for cluster, say kluster.
6.Update the NIS maps.
7.Install lam-mpi in Master under /usr/local
8.Install NPB in /usr/npb
9.Check the path for mpicc and lam* executables.
10.In Master: login as kluster.
11.Create a text file lamhosts in ~/ with:
LMIT3     #Master Node
Node1      #Slave Node
12.Install Linux in Slave node node1.
13.Make slave to mount /home, /usr with NFS.
14.Setup NIS ypbind in node1.
15.Check whether NIS is OK by using ypcat.
16.In node1:  Login as kluster.
17.Type recon –v lamhosts in master to check whether the cluster is bootable.
18.Type lamboot –v lamhosts in Master to start lam on the cluster.
19.From Master, type tping –c5 N to ping the entire cluster (use this to check
the cluster is OK).
20.In Master: mpirun N progname or mpirun –lamd N progname to run the progname
on all nodes.  The second command used lamd to run the program.

--
Karthik M
System Administrator - Infrastructure Team

SIP Technologies & Exports Limited,
G4, Elnet Software City, CPT Road,
Taramani, Chennai 600 113,
INDIA.