[Beowulf] Which is better GNU C or JAVA (for network programing)

hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz
Wed Jan 21 10:44:18 EST 2004

> scripting language like Tcl works very well

I think tcl(/tk) fulfills most of the promisses heard about Java :-)

Those tempted by Java hype might therefore well try tcl (and C/C++ of course).

I use tcl for various purposes throughout the cluster and I am very
happy with it. Superb integration ability. There is no better glue
than tcl. But it is a pleasing language on its own. Excellent ability
to go to meta-levels like adding new control structures (comparable to
FORTH if anybody remembers it).

Making GUI for some cluster management tool is a fun with tcl/tk.

And few bonuses:

- it even works on M$ Windows and Mac (shock your friends ;-)

- if you ever dreamt about goodies from LISP without having to deal
  with Lots of Silly Idiotic Parenthesis, these dreams come true in
  tcl

One strong detergent: Syntax which does not follow usual
conventions. But you will appreciate it later, for sure. There is a
very strong logic behind it. (Those who ever tried deep TeX
programming: tcl syntax shock is say 10% of the TeX syntax shock ;-)

Just my religious 2 cents...

Vaclav Hanzl