[Beowulf] Bonding driver in Active-standby mode

Irene Koo irene at syndeocorp.com
Tue Jan 20 15:53:27 EST 2004

Hi,

I am new to using the channel bonding driver. So, any help would be
appreciated. Thx.

Basically, I have one 3Com 3c905c (using 3c59x driver) and
an integrated Intel NIC using e100 driver on one system.
Both of them are ifenslaved to bond0 with parameters
mode=1 arp_interval=20 arp_target_ip=10.1.5.105

bonding.c:v2.2.5 (May 22, 2003)
bond0 registered without MII link monitoring, in fault-tolerance
(active-backup) mode.
bond0 registered with ARP monitoring set to 20 ms with 1 target(s):
10.1.5.105

On another system, I have one 3Com 3c905b and an integrated
Intel NIC using e100 driver.  Both of these NICs are ifenslaved to bond0
with parameters mode=1 arp_interval=20 arp_target_ip=10.1.5.100

Two cross-over cables connect these 2 systems.

The question I have is when the backup interface gets activated
or when a recovered interface (the link failed and the up) get
activated, the kernel recorded over 300 times of the following messages:

bond0: backup interface eth0 is now up
bond0: backup interface eth0 is now down
bond0: backup interface eth0 is now up
bond0: backup interface eth0 is now down
bond0: backup interface eth0 is now up
bond0: backup interface eth0 is now down

or something like
bond0: backup interface eth2 is now up
last message repeated 384 times

During the time these messages were displayed, traffic from ping does
not go through. After about 30 sec, messages such as
bond0: eth0 is up and now the active interface
or
bond0: eth2 is up and now the active interface
was displayed, then traffic would go through again.

What is causing all those repeated messages? It looks like the
 bonding driver was in a loop. From the experiment, I can see that
there is a 30 sec down time. Is there something I can do to get ride of the
down time?
I also used mii-diag --monitor to monitor both interfaces.
All "down/negotiating/up" messages are shown almost
instantuously after the link went down/up.

I also tested with arp_interval=200.
Results from this set is pretty simular to the ones above

To make things more interesting, I also tried miimon
(without arp monitoring). Bond driver setting was
miimon=20
and
miimon=200
For 3Com 3c905b/c, it took close to 50 sec for the
bond driver to switch over; For Intel integrated NIC,
it took a bit over 1 sec.

Any ideas what is causing the delay?

Thanks,

Irene K.