[Beowulf] Selection of Beowulf cluster type

Lars Henriksen lars at meshtechnologies.com
Tue Jan 20 08:05:30 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 09:56, Per Lindstrom wrote:
> Here I am not running for Slack for its own sake so I will use Slacware
> up to two (2) nodes and when shifting to Debian when I'm connecting the
> remaining nodes. I think it will stop at about 10 CPUs.
>
> Until I have learned to manage Debian I will use the
> "slack-rpm-transfer-tool" and it will be very interesting to benchmark
> the two distros with each other.

If you want to use Debian as the base distribution, I can recommend
SytemImager as an installation tool.

http://www.systemimager.org/

Sytemimager allows you to replicate an installed client via PXE/rsync to
the remaining nodes. It also allows for updates to be distributed via
rsync. A feature that i really like, is that it allows for the use of
several different images.

Also it scales pretty well (I had the pleasure of using it in a couple
of 16-32 node configurations, as well as on our own cluster)

IMO it is the easiest way to deal with smaller clusters (except maybe
CLIC)

best regards
Lars
--
Lars Henriksen                  | MESH-Technologies A/S
Systems Manager & Consultant    | Forskerparken 10