[Beowulf] Selection of Beowulf cluster type

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 19:00:00 EST 2004

Robert G. Brown wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Per Lindstrom wrote:
>>It gives that I should jump from Slack to Fedora or Debian, which distro
>>is scaling best?
>Ah, the kind of question that can start a religious war.

That's true! Although sometimes I get a little devious and like to
start them (fun to watch the opinions come out).

If you're goint to use Warewulf, you'll need a rpm-based distrbution.
Something like RH, Mandrake, Suse, cAos, Whitebox, Fedora, etc.
Warewulf gives you all of the details about PXE (don't need
kickstart since there's nothing on the disk). I think yum has been
added to cAos, but in general yum is pretty cool.

As for performance, I didn't know one was better than the other
(never heard of the problems with slackware before). Oh, I think
you can add rpm capability to slack anyway (anyone comment on

Good Luck!