[Beowulf] Selection of Beowulf cluster type

Lars Henriksen lars at meshtechnologies.com
Mon Jan 19 12:28:55 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 05:59, Per Lindstrom wrote:
> Box 1
> MSI Pro266TD Master-LR2 (MS-9105)  (I can not recommended MSI)
> 2 x CPU Intel Tualatin 1,13 GHz with 512 L2 cashe
> 4 x 512 MB DDR SDRAM PC2100
>
> Box 2.
> Intel model SE7505VB2 ATX PCI, FSB 533MHz
> 2 x CPU Intel 2,8 GHz Xeon with 512kB L2 cache 533FSB
> 2 x 1 GB DDR SDRAM PC2100 Reg ECC
>
> The cluster is intended for numerical simulations (FEA) with ABAQUS

First off: I do not really know ABAQUS, but i assume, that like most FE
solvers, it is based on a MPI parallelization. By nature it has a
strictly parallel execution flow. This would probably mean that the
speed of which the execution takes place (if the problem is indeed CPU
bound), is dictated by the slowest CPU in the system (beeing the 1,13
GHz P3) - You might get better performance with running on just the dual
Xeon. It can also be stated as follows: Does the program execute faster
with 4 x P3 1,13 GHz than on 2 x 2,8GHz Xeons communicating through
memory?

Though the 4 CPU setup might give better cache utilization...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't build a cluster, but i i'm very
interested in your findings in this case.

Please correct me if i'm rambling here :-)

best regards
Lars
--
Lars Henriksen                  | MESH-Technologies A/S
Systems Manager & Consultant    | Forskerparken 10