[Beowulf] Selection of Beowulf cluster type

Per Lindstrom klamman.gard at telia.com
Mon Jan 19 00:59:22 EST 2004

Hi,

I am going to set up my first beowulf cluster and I have no experience
of this.

The cluster will be built of two dual CPU workstations.

Box 1
MSI Pro266TD Master-LR2 (MS-9105)  (I can not recommended MSI)
2 x CPU Intel Tualatin 1,13 GHz with 512 L2 cashe
4 x 512 MB DDR SDRAM PC2100

Box 2.
Intel model SE7505VB2 ATX PCI, FSB 533MHz
2 x CPU Intel 2,8 GHz Xeon with 512kB L2 cache 533FSB
2 x 1 GB DDR SDRAM PC2100 Reg ECC

The cluster is intended for numerical simulations (FEA) with ABAQUS

Please advise the type of  cluster you think I shall build and what
package to use.

For the time being I am considering following solutions:

-  Warewulf 1.16 (http://www.warewulf-cluster.org)

- OSCAR 3.0 ( http://oscar.openclustergroup.org/tiki-index.php)

Yours faithfully
Per Lindström