[Beowulf] MySQL clustering

Todd Merritt tmerritt at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jan 16 14:55:16 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 12:38, Andrew Piskorski wrote:

> From what I've read, MySQL is only fast under conditions of no or low
> concurrency.  Get up above 5 or so concurrent users, and performance
> starts going into the toilet very fast due to table lock contention.
> Note that 5 concurrent users is a trivial number for any large public
> website.

That may be true of multiple concurrent writes, but for mostly read
access, mysql performance is stellar.  We use it as the preference
backend for our webmail system, as well as maintaining user mappings for
postfix for ~50,000 email accounts.  At peak times, there are ~1200
simultaneous webmail users and mysql has never been a bottleneck here.

Todd