[Beowulf] linuxbios

Douglas Eadline, Cluster World Magazine deadline at linux-mag.com
Fri Jan 16 08:10:13 EST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Leif Nixon wrote:

> Erwan Velu <erwan at mandrakesoft.com> writes:
>
> >> I'm mostly interested in Linuxbios though for the controlability of
> >> large clusters.
> > Can you develop that point ? What is really intresting in such
> > technologie ? Once your bios are well setup, you don't need to change it
> > every day..
>
> Right now I'd like to evaluate the performance of a 100 node cluster
> with and without hyperthreading activated. I don't look forward to
> fiddle those BIOS settings, I can tell you.

Depending on what you want to do, you can probably get a "feel" for the HT
vs no HT with a handful of machines or even singel machine.  Basically, HT
is not a win for cluster/parallel applications. Things can actually run
slower.

Doug

Editor-in-chief                   ClusterWorld Magazine
Desk: 610.865.6061
Cell: 610.390.7765         Redefining High Performance Computing
Fax:  610.865.6618                www.clusterworld.com