[Beowulf] Dual Xeon gigabit issues

Wade Hampton wade.hampton at nsc1.net
Fri Jan 16 08:17:21 EST 2004

Douglas Eadline, Cluster World Magazine wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>

>>I just moved two dual Xeon servers into a new home.  One of them refuses
>>to see a network link, before or after the machine boots.  The only
>>difference in them is a slight revision in the motherboard: the one that
>>links has a Supermicro X5DPE-G2 (e7501 chipset), and the one that doesn't
>>has a SM P4DPE-G2 (e7500).  Both have the same onboard network chip (Intel
>>82546EB -- dual port gigabit).  They're connected to a Cisco Catalyst
>>4507R.
>>

>You might first try looking for any messages in /var/log/messages
>when you load the driver module. I assume you are using e1000.o.
>Are the versions identical on both systems ?
>
>The output from things like
>
>uname -a
>lsmod
>
>may be a good place to start. BTW, with Intel chips-sets showing link to a
>switch does not necessarily imply that the kernel module is working.
>
>Doug
>

>>The box *will* link when connected to a 100Mb switch.  I also hooked it
>>up to a Dell 5224 (gigabit) switch that I have, and it found a link after
>>about 10 seconds.
>>
>>Any ideas?  I've already tried flashing the BIOS and playing with mii-tool
>>a bit.

I have several SuperMicro dual 2.2 xeon boxes and am having NIC problems
with one
as well.  It is also an E7500 chipset with 82546EB NIC.  The eth0 would
not connect
to a GB switch (don't have the make right now).  Eth1worked fine so I
had to use
eth1 instead of eth0.

When I get the box back next week, I'll find out if this was a hardware
problem or
similar to the one reported.

Note:  This box was borrowed from my cluster and is running Fedora Core 1.0
with the 2115 kernel and is somewhat unstable (several crashes) - yet
another issue.

Sorry I don't have more information at this time as the box is at
another location.
--
Wade Hampton