[Beowulf] Wireless clusters (Bridging 802.11a)

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 15 00:05:24 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nathan Littlepage" <nathan at iwantka.com>
To: "Jim Lux" <James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Wireless clusters (Bridging 802.11a)

> Jim,
>
>  Just to add my two cents. Why not create your own AP with a linux
> distribution thats available. There are many out there that can work on
> hardware you already have. One that I have used, not in your situation,
> but as an AP is from NYWireless called Pebble.
> http://www.nywireless.net/pebble/. An added cent, I use ebtables to
> screen MAC address to better secure access.
>
> Hope that helps in some manner.

But, then, I'd still need some form of 802.11a wireless interface that's
supported by Linux. I'd also have to spend some (scarce) time fooling with
building APs.  I'd rather have a basically off-the-shelf solution. I'm not
real, real interested in understanding all the subtleties of 802.11 drivers
under Linux.