[Beowulf] Bonding in 2.4.22-1.2149 Linux kernel

Alexandr Konovalov avkon at imm.uran.ru
Wed Jan 14 14:40:58 EST 2004

Hi,

we have somewhat non-standart configuration of our computing
cluster. Inernal computing nodes are connected by 2 (bonded)
ethernet networks, but host connected only to one ethernet
(i.e., connection to host not bonded for the all computing
nodes). For the Linux kernel 2.4.9 - 2.4.20 it's possible to
run such configuration if we use static arp tables and
static routes (connection to host should be routed directly
to the slave device, say eth1, not to bond0).

But when we install 2.4.22-1.2149 (from Fedora 1), things
are changed. Now routing to slave device became impossibe
with diagnostics like
ioctl(3, 0x890b, 0xbfe90b10) = -1 ENODEV (No such device)
And there is no more slave devices in route output. Googling
give us some reasons for this graceful changing of (yes,
undocumented and unspecified) behaviour.

It's compitely unacceptable for us to abandon bonding, so
after drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c reading we (probably)
found a solution. Out idea is simply create new bonding
policy. If a packet destination is in the bonded network it
will call bond_xmit_roundrobin, if not then packed will be
xmited directly to an appropriate slave device. MAC adresses
for the direct xmiting will received by modiles as the load
parameters.

Probably we miss some opportunities and make some desing
mistakes, because our hardware configuration is not very
rare, so someone perhaps solve all our problems. We are
interested in any feedback from the Beowulf community.

--
Thanks for your attention,
Alexandr Konovalov