[Beowulf] Dual Xeon gigabit issues

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Jan 14 16:29:28 EST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 at 11:01am, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote

> I just moved two dual Xeon servers into a new home.  One of them refuses
> to see a network link, before or after the machine boots.  The only
> difference in them is a slight revision in the motherboard: the one that
> links has a Supermicro X5DPE-G2 (e7501 chipset), and the one that doesn't
> has a SM P4DPE-G2 (e7500).  Both have the same onboard network chip (Intel
> 82546EB -- dual port gigabit).  They're connected to a Cisco Catalyst
> 4507R.
>
> The box *will* link when connected to a 100Mb switch.  I also hooked it
> up to a Dell 5224 (gigabit) switch that I have, and it found a link after
> about 10 seconds.
>
> Any ideas?  I've already tried flashing the BIOS and playing with mii-tool
> a bit.

Thanks to all who responded (on and off list).  It turns out that the most
likely culprit is a design flaw on certain SuperMicro dual Xeon boards
that renders them unable to talk to some switches.  Including Ciscos.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering