[Beowulf] Dual Xeon gigabit issues

Douglas Eadline, Cluster World Magazine deadline at linux-mag.com
Wed Jan 14 15:52:39 EST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> I just moved two dual Xeon servers into a new home.  One of them refuses
> to see a network link, before or after the machine boots.  The only
> difference in them is a slight revision in the motherboard: the one that
> links has a Supermicro X5DPE-G2 (e7501 chipset), and the one that doesn't
> has a SM P4DPE-G2 (e7500).  Both have the same onboard network chip (Intel
> 82546EB -- dual port gigabit).  They're connected to a Cisco Catalyst
> 4507R.

You might first try looking for any messages in /var/log/messages
when you load the driver module. I assume you are using e1000.o.
Are the versions identical on both systems ?

The output from things like

uname -a
lsmod

may be a good place to start. BTW, with Intel chips-sets showing link to a
switch does not necessarily imply that the kernel module is working.

Doug