[Beowulf] linuxbios

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Wed Jan 14 14:07:47 EST 2004

Andrew Latham wrote:

> Just got my "Linux Journal" and was reading about the linuxbios.
> It mentioned tyan (My fav.)
> I searched tyan.com and found nothing related.
> (just thought about googling tyan.com)
> Any Tyan MB Linux BIOS users out there?
>
> What are the success stories out there. I am starting to play and am already
> downloading some stuff I just wondered what the group thinks about this.

Fwd from the LinuxBIOS list:

"If you want to order a Tyan board with LinuxBIOS pre-loaded, you might
need to go through some special ordering process... try asking Charlie
Ding (cding at tyan.com).

Currently we're working on the S2885. VGA works to an extent now, we can
use the testbios utility to init the VGA BIOS on a GeForce FX and X will
run with the "nv" driver. The binary driver will load and X will start,
but the screen goes corrupt. So long as it's not a driver issue, this
might be fixed in the near future. Getting the CLI should be  first, and
that will be nice since Ollie just got keyboard input working."

"well there is the largest K8 cluster in the world, here at LANL, 1408
nodes. Built by linuxbios, arima mobo, linuxbios support from linux
networx.

Tyan will sell you K8 mobos with linuxbios on them. Hopefully the tyan
people reading this will get in touch with you.

There are a few other companies that will do K8 mobos with linuxbios but
nothing public yet."