[Beowulf] Nodes with or without HD?

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Wed Jan 14 13:01:43 EST 2004

The disadvantage of having disk in the cluster is that you
will increase your maintenance cost.  we have 600+ nodes
at Fermilab, all with system disks and data disks, and
disks are almost 70% of all hardware calls that we have.

To avoid disk in the cluster there is more technical work
that needs to be done, we are investigating that at the moment.

Steve

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525  timm at fnal.gov  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Fermilab Computing Division/Core Support Services Dept.
Assistant Group Leader, Scientific Computing Support Group
Lead of Computing Farms Team