[Beowulf] Dual Xeon gigabit issues

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Jan 14 11:01:03 EST 2004

I just moved two dual Xeon servers into a new home.  One of them refuses
to see a network link, before or after the machine boots.  The only
difference in them is a slight revision in the motherboard: the one that
links has a Supermicro X5DPE-G2 (e7501 chipset), and the one that doesn't
has a SM P4DPE-G2 (e7500).  Both have the same onboard network chip (Intel
82546EB -- dual port gigabit).  They're connected to a Cisco Catalyst
4507R.

The box *will* link when connected to a 100Mb switch.  I also hooked it
up to a Dell 5224 (gigabit) switch that I have, and it found a link after
about 10 seconds.

Any ideas?  I've already tried flashing the BIOS and playing with mii-tool
a bit.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering