[Beowulf] multiline string literals...

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jan 13 10:51:36 EST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Does anybody here know WHY multiline literals ... are deprecated in gcc?

As written at the top of:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.3/changes.html

they were deprecated for quite some time. So it's a bit late to ask now
:-)

> A string is a bunch of bytes in memory.

I think that this has more to do with (pre)processing the source rather
than storing the result in memory.

> It is clearly a million times more tedious to code this in one line at a
> time, and many times more likely to contain a bug as well.

Agreed :-)
One other example is inlined ASM...

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868