[Beowulf] multiline string literals...

Michael Stein mas at ucla.edu
Tue Jan 13 09:51:18 EST 2004

> This is a teeny bit off-topic, but I don't know where else to find a
> group of knowledgeable systems programmers.
>
> Does anybody here know WHY multiline literals, e.g. specifically
> something like:
>
> char usage = "
> Usage:  foobar [-h] [-v] -f barianfile
>   -h for help
>   -v for verbose
>   -f barianfile to specify your foo-bar-barian
> ";
>
> are deprecated in gcc?

Probably because it's hard to tell the difference between the above and
an unbalanced double quote character?  An unbalanced quote could
eat a big hunk of your code and possibly without any error messages...

Try this instead:
char usage = "\n"
"Usage:  foobar [-h] [-v] -f barianfile\n"
"   -h for help\n"
"   -v for verbose\n"
"   -f barianfile to specify your foo-bar-barian\n"
" ";

See ANSI C standard section 6.1.4 String literals which says that
adjacent strings literals are concatenated into a single string.

PS: You need either *usage or usage[].  -Wall is your friend...