[Beowulf] Upcoming Beowulf Presentation - Help!

Andrew Wang andrewxwang at yahoo.com.tw
Fri Jan 9 21:17:51 EST 2004

beowulf is good for HPC clusters running parallel
jobs. If you use the cluster like a compute farm, then
make sure you also install a DRM (distributed resource
management, or a batch system) on top of the beowulf.

Common ones like SGE (Sun's open source DRM), SPBS
(much much better than PBS), or LSF (commercial).

I would suggest new DRM installations to choose SGE
instead of LSF, since SGE is free, and SGE 6.0 is
coming soon and fixes some limitations that some
people encounter. LSF is quite similar to SGE, but it
is very expensive (last time I heard it costed $500 US
per CPU, and support fee is not cheap), and for the
price of 1 CPU license, I can get another Linux box
with SGE, and I won't loose much.

SPBS is also good, it is free, and used by a lot of
HPC sites. They used to use OpenPBS, but OpenPBS's
development is basically dead, and a lot of bugs not
fixed!

Andrew.

--- "Baker, Jeffrey" <jeffrey.baker at lmco.com>
的訊息:> Howdy, all...

> I've just been selected to give a presentation on
> 1/27 to the entire IT department about Beowulf's --
> of which I know nothing about!
>
> I'm interested in finding out what good books or
> websites are out there that can get me up to
> "presentation speed" in short order ("Beowulfs for
> Dummies") ...
>
> So far, I've found the Beowulf history <
> http://beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov/overview.html >
>  ... Beowulf FAQ <
> http://www.canonical.org/~kragen/beowulf-faq.txt >
>  ... and Engineering a Beowulf-style Compute Cluster
> < http://www.phy.duke.edu/brahma/beowulf_book/ >
>  ... all which should help tremendously.
>
> Any other sites I should know about?
>
> Many thanks!