[Beowulf] Latency issues with Itanium2 (Tiger2) and e1000 gigE

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Fri Jan 9 19:07:12 EST 2004

I am having some problems with some new servers I just
got.  I have several dual Itanium2 (Intel Tiger2 board)
connected via gigE through a Dell Powerconnect 5224 gigE
switch.

Using mpptest to test latency and bandwidth the results
are not so good.  Latency varies between 60-200 mu/s for
small packets, and the bandwidth tops out at about 45 MB/s.

- This happens with both a Debian and White Box (rebuilt
from RHAS 3.0 sources).
- I have a similar set of Opteron nodes that use the
same model switch (different phyiscal switch though) and
the latency and bandwidth of the built in tg3 card is 32 mu/s and
and 100 MB/s respectively.
- I have verified (at least on the hosts) that both are in
full-duplex mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to look for?

Thanks,
Craig