[Beowulf] ...Re: Benchmark results

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Thu Jan 8 20:52:51 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 04:14:38PM -0800, Jim Lux wrote:

> >Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but writing a kernel module to achieve
> >cluster-wide microsecond-level clock synchronization just might be
> >feasible...
>
> I am entirely certain that this can be done, and may have already been
> done. It's such a useful thing to "know, exactly, what time it is"....

Octiga Bay claimed to have done it at SC. However, they made it sound
like they did a lot of work to get it going, as what they were doing
was enabling MPI programs to run in lock-step on microsecond
timescales.  That's much harder than just getting global times.

No doubt SGI has done something clever on their big Altix boxes.

-- greg