[Beowulf] ...Re: Benchmark results

Josip Loncaric josip at lanl.gov
Thu Jan 8 17:37:19 EST 2004

Jim Lux wrote:

> We're talking parts per million here, though, just to keep things in
> perspective.

I just checked some quartz crystal oscillator specs, and they range all
over the place.  The cheap ones recommended for Gigabit Ethernet devices
claim 100 ppm stability, but good quality ones can be ordered with 0.1
ppm specs.

HP application node 200-2 "Fundamentals of Quartz Oscillators" (see
http://www.measurement.tm.agilent.com/main.cgi?PSP_NEXT=Redirect&Document:CONTENT_ID=6980)
says that temperature effects are the dominant influence (2.5 ppm within
0-50 deg. C).  This is followed by aging (<0.3ppm/month), line voltage
change (<0.1ppm/10% change), and various other smaller effects.

A good crystal may deliver <2.5 ppm frequency variation over a 0 to 50
deg. C range, but the temperature dependence may be quite nonlinear.
Temperature compensated crystals can deliver 0.5 ppm stability over the
same range.

Sincerely,
Josip