[Beowulf] ...Re: Benchmark results

Josip Loncaric josip at lanl.gov
Thu Jan 8 10:44:42 EST 2004

Jim Lux wrote:

> At 05:18 PM 1/7/2004 -0700, Josip Loncaric wrote:
>
>>  Despite various software/hardware network
>> layers and longer distances involved, it should be possible to get
>> microsecond synchronization through the network by gradually tweaking
>> local clock offset and drift...
>

> Most of the more recent implementations of NTP clients can do this sort
> of thing, sending messages both ways across the link to measure the
> latency (and latency distribution)

I love NTP, but in its current state it does not deliver microsecond
level synchronization.

I just checked my old cluster (which runs NTP) and the compute nodes are
off by 500-25000 microseconds.  Actually, most are within 1000
microseconds, but about 20% are off by up to 25000 microseconds.  This
happens over Fast Ethernet where ntpdate usually reports timing
dispersion of 0-20 microseconds (based on 7 ping-pong measurements).  In
other words, network timing is quite precise, but we'd need about 1000
times better clock synchronization.

NTP may need to be streamlined and tuned for clusters...

Sincerely,
Josip