[Beowulf] Need help

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 7 13:00:04 EST 2004

At 09:16 AM 1/7/2004, Maikel Punie wrote:

>hallo everyone,
>
>well for my final project at school i need to build a beowulf, well i'm
>this far that all the node (diskless system) boot from the main node
>(ntfs) and there config and stuff from there, the main node can see all
>off his nodes.
>
>Now my question is whats the next step? How do i make the nodes do the
>calculations and stuff for the main node, how do i realy integrate the
>parrallel processing?

At the risk of sounding a tiny bit commercial, you should have a look at
the second edition of the Beowulf Cluster Computing with Linux
(http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=DD198EEC-B4B8-48BD-B728-C28DF093FBD4&ttype=2&tid=9947).
The second edition has a great deal of new material on managing and using
clusters, including using other approaches to parallelism besides MPI and
PVM and using existing software libraries instead of writing your
own.  Royalties go to a fund to support student travel to IEEE Cluster.

Bill