[Beowulf] Need help

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jan 7 11:41:12 EST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Maikel Punie wrote:

> hallo everyone,
>
> well for my final project at school i need to build a beowulf, well i'm this
> far that all the node (diskless system) boot from the main node (ntfs) and
> there config and stuff from there, the main node can see all off his nodes.
>
> Now my question is whats the next step? How do i make the nodes do the
> calculations and stuff for the main node, how do i realy integrate the
> parrallel processing?
>
> Thanks a lot

Visit http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb and grab the PVM project template
under General.  Install PVM on all the nodes and configure it to run.
Get a PVM book (there is a good one from MIT press).  Run the PVM
example programs.

OR do the same thing for MPI.

OR learn to write raw socket code for doing IPC's.

AND consider buying e.g. Ian Foster's book on parallel programming
(available online for free in the short run), linked to
http://www.phy.duke.edu/brahma under one of the resources links.

Two final resources:

  Subscribe to Cluster World Magazine for more getting started code and
tips and so forth.  You can get three free trial issues if you live in
the US by visiting its website.

  Subscribe to Linux Magazine ditto -- Forrest Hoffman has been writing
an excellent column on cluster computing there for years now, and recent
issues (within the last year) have had complete getting started in MPI
instructions, for example, with sample code.

  HTH,  rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu