[Beowulf] Benchmark results

Rene Storm rene.storm at emplics.com
Tue Jan 6 08:20:19 EST 2004

Dear cluster folks,

I saw some weird results of different benchmarks on my systems.
My problem is to verify these results.

I've played with hpl benchmark on our clusters (8 CPU Intel, 8 CPU Opteron) and wasn't able to get two times the same result. Of course no configuration changes. Difference round 5-10%.

So I went down to one machine, but the same behavior.
Standart mpich, per-complied lapack, two processor on an smp machine.
10 times the same benchmark gives back 10 different results.
Same trouble with stream memory benchmark, dgemv matrix calculation and others.

There was no network, but it was a big installation, so it could be, that there are some running jobs (eg cron-jobs) which disturb my benchmarks results.

Next Step: I created a self-booting cdrom from the scratch - added litte bit of X and a gui my benchmarks.

1) cpi - calculating pi with mpich on smp (ch_p4 on loopback)
2+3) dgemv - 5kx5k matrix calculation , single and smp
4) crafty chess benchmark - 2 threads
5) /bin/true - calling true via fork(), taking the time
6) PMB-MPI1 - Pallas benchmark

There is only sshd for mpich running, everything is loaded from the cdrom into a ramdisk.
BUT same result for the results. 5-10% unsteady.

Please let me know, if you could see same behavior on your machines.
Does someone know a reason for that?

If you would like to check this cd out ->
http://212.12.58.172/bench/bench_on_cd.iso.gz
40 MB download. You will need at least 512MB and no usb mice, keyboard.

Thanks in advance
Rene Storm