[Beowulf] HVAC and room cooling...

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jan 31 18:53:27 EST 2004

Found some definitions:
An oxygen-deficient atmosphere means that there is not enough oxygen in the
space.
Normal air is made up of 20.8 percent oxygen.

An oxygen-deficient atmosphere has less than 19.5 percent of oxygen.

 Levels below 10 percent can cause unconsciousness and levels below 8
percent can quickly cause death.

That's probably where Per's 19.5% came from

And, a delightful paragraph from OSHA:
Oxygen deprivation is one form of asphyxiation. While it is desirable to
maintain the atmospheric oxygen level at 21% by volume, the body can
tolerate deviation from this ideal. When the oxygen level falls to 17%, the
first sign of hypoxia is a deterioration to night vision which is not
noticeable until a normal oxygen concentration is restored. Physiologic
effects are increased breathing volume and accelerated heartbeat. Between
14-16% physiologic effects are increased breathing volume, accelerated
heartbeat, very poor muscular coordination, rapid fatigue, and intermittent
respiration. Between 6-10% the effects are nausea, vomiting, inability to
perform, and unconsciousness. Less than 6%, spasmatic breathing, convulsive
movements, and death in minutes.