[Beowulf] Virginia Tech upgrade

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Jan 27 17:22:05 EST 2004

radeon 9600's are probably good for 6-10w idle at the default clock
speed... not all that much...

just from the specs the dual g5 cluster node specifices 5.5amp peak vs
6.5amp for the dual g5 dekstop. I can't imagine that the difference would
be too massive however between a dekstop and a node each with one drive.

the space savings have to be enormous thought g5 towers are basically 5u
even in the best circumstances....

one wonders why they didn't just wait g5 the close relationship to apple
and the fact that xserves were basically justaround the corner. unless of
course it had to be in this years top-500 list and the motivation is as
much political/econmic as practical...

joelja

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu