[Beowulf] Selection of Beowulf cluster type

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jan 19 15:27:26 EST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Per Lindstrom wrote:

> I will most probably go for the Warewulf as it should be possible to use
> the Linux distro I'm used to (Slackware) and  I think that is quite
> important as it allways cost time to change "environment".
>
> Or is that a blind trace?

Speaking personally as a person who started with slackware (a fairly
long time ago) and moved on, I think that you should STRONGLY consider
moving to an RPM-based distribution.  Red Hat, or in the future Fedora
(for example) installed with kickstart via PXE and maintained with yum
approach the theoretical limit in operating system scalability.  As in,
to install a system one turns it on.  To update a system one does
nothing (a nightly cron script does it for you).  To install or browse
new software from an RPM repository one uses a single command with a
very efficient interface.

Debian also scales much better than slackware.  Slackware was OK for
single systems or small networks, but it won't do for hundreds of LAN
boxes and beowulf nodes per administrator.  RPM-based distros will.

  rgb

> Best regards
> Per Lindström

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu