[Beowulf] multiline string literals...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jan 13 08:29:25 EST 2004

This is a teeny bit off-topic, but I don't know where else to find a
group of knowledgeable systems programmers.

Does anybody here know WHY multiline literals, e.g. specifically
something like:

char usage = "
Usage:  foobar [-h] [-v] -f barianfile
  -h for help
  -v for verbose
  -f barianfile to specify your foo-bar-barian
";

are deprecated in gcc?  I have a very hard time understanding this.  A
string is a bunch of bytes in memory.  I can put anything I want in it.
It is clearly a million times more tedious to code this in one line at a
time, and many times more likely to contain a bug as well.

Sorry to rant a bit, but I've spent some time trying to understand just
what it is that they're saving me from or what low-level aspect of a
computer is made ambiguous by multiline literals in C code and come up
empty.  Seems like pure fascism to me, which is anathema in C.  You want
rigorous structure, use Pascal...

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu