[Beowulf] Flashmobcomputing - the evil bit

Daniel Williams ddw at dreamscape.com
Sat Feb 28 01:19:37 EST 2004

The problem with this idea is that Linux is too good at dealing with flawed or
malicious data, so even if the evil bit is set, it still would not qualify as
"bad news", and thus would not travel superluminally.  Consequently, I would
speculate that the only system that could communicate superluminally is one
running some form of Winblows, since *any* data, of *any* kind, with or
without the evil bit set is bad news for MS operating systems, and likely to
cause a crash.  The problem with superluminal cluster computing then becomes
obvious - you can't get any actual useful calculation done faster than
lightspeed, because the only operating systems that work at that speed can't
do any useful work.

DDW